Pages

Wednesday 5 October 2011

Getting ready for Halloween - Blog 1

I like Halloween, I decorate the house and last year I did a buffet style tea and invited a few people round, we played games It was great fun.  I hope to do the same this year but we will see how things go. I plan to do a series of blog posts on this as I have lots of recipes and ideas to share, some of them I did last year, some of them are new ones I hope to try this year. I will post every day until I have listed everything.
Before I start I would just like to point out that not everyone (especially the elderly) enjoys Halloween.  When my Nan who was in her nineties was alive, she hated it, she found it difficult to walk to answer the door and was terrified when the kids came to knock. If you are going trick or treating please respect that some people do not like to be disturbed. Only knock on houses that have pumpkins placed outside, this way you will not upset anyone and are guaranteed that those people will be expecting you, and hopefully have treats waiting. Also remember not say out too late, the later you are out, the more the elderly panic.

Right I will start off with a new recipe, I have not tried this one, I found it in the morrisons magazine
Witches’ fingers

• 250g plain flour
• 100g butter
• 75g Red Leicester, finely grated
• 30g sesame seeds
• 4-5 tbsp milk, plus extra for glazing
• ½ red pepper, deseeded
• ½ green pepper, deseeded

To serve
• 3 x 30g pot cress

 1 Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and rub in the butter until the mixture
resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the Red Leicester and sesame seeds, then add enough cold milk to form a soft
dough.

2 Roll the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and cut into 16 lengths. Roll each length lightly between
your palms to form a ‘finger’. Lift onto a baking tray and brush with a little milk.

3 Use a small knife or scissors to cut out red and green ‘nails’ from the peppers and press into each finger. Bake
for 20 minutes, until crisp and golden.

4 To serve, place the pots of cress on a board and push the fingers into it.
(As always I am on a budget so I will do this with out the cress and just put the fingers on a plate)


                                        
Remember to check back tomorrow for the next recipe.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...